07 January 2005

Semester 2

I am back in Toronto as well as back from my impromptu month-long hiatus from blogging. Holiday break was wonderful; I finally got to see Sarah and Victor after almost three years, and Lenny, Jen and Timo, and my family! It was so relaxing. And to be honest, going home after being away so long really made me miss BC (yes, even though I was in Surrey). I forgot just how stunning and relaxing the West Coast can be, particularly when I go there on my school holidays and I have no obligations whatsoever. I'm pretty undecided about what I'm going to do when I finish university, but I do know that if I stay in Canada, it will definitely be in Vancouver. I can't handle these Central Canadian winters and the lifestlye out there is more conducive to life enjoyment.

To continue, I feel really unsettled right now. I always find coming back after being away a strange experience. I'm sure other people who call multiple cities home know what I'm talking about, or those who have returned home after a trip away. It's like I almost don't remember what I used to do to pass the time here before I left. A feeling which is no doubt further exacerbated by the fact Edd is back on the other side of the ocean and not in the same room as was the case for 3 weeks. I am surprised by this homesickness I am experiencing... hanging out with Sarah and Len and Victor and my family was so great, and made me feel like I had a past, a history, rather than how I often feel in Toronto, which is somewhat like I'm an anonymous individual with minimal ties to this place. My friends here do a great job of making me feel loved, but the truth is that no amount of support from them can change the fact that I'm so far away from my family and lifelong friends, especially when all of them live at most an hour or so from home. I realize it was my choice to come out here, and I don't regret it. I just think I need to get back into the swing of school and work, and take my mind off this stuff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there! In no time drinking a bubble tea will last an hour, talking on MSN will be like real talking, and you'll be so busy and hectic that you don't even miss Vancouver, or me.
Moving around certainly has its downsides, and having amazing friends in more than one place/city/country/continent is downright stupid, but we both do it, and we both love it, most of the time. You just have to watch out for the downsides, this being one of them.
I know how much you love Toronto, it won't be long until you're grumping about how busy you are. ;)
Wrap up warm, and try to enjoy it while you have absolutely no control over where you are, you might as well just enjoy where you've been stuck for the moment (yes, even if that place is the midlands and they won't stop playing dizee rascal on tv). I miss you too, and the days are *not* flying by.
love edd