21 October 2004

Mid-October Hecticity

Busy times, people. Busy times. Ask any University of Toronto student (and likely any student at a North American university) how they're doing come mid-October, their response will probably be something very self-pitying/exasperated/hopeless. For you see, within the university community, mid-October is synonymous with midterms! Or, if a student doesn't have any midterms, they surely have essays. Or projects. Or presentations. And so forth. My poor flatmate had 4 (!!) midterms within a 72 hour period. He has my utmost respect forever.

While I may not have reason to complain as much as he does, my plate is also quite full at the moment. Come 8 pm next Wednesday evening, I will be free of any pressing academic commitments for a substantial three weeks. I am still pretty sick, am working 9-hour shifts at work and trying to do reasonably well on all my assigments at the same time. It's not easy, kids. I think students don't get nearly as much respect as they deserve.

Today I studied for 6 hours in the Engineering Commons area (I like to study in environments that have absolutely no relation to the topic I am reading) and I decided there is something more annoying that a first-year university student. That is a first-year Engineering student. These kids I overheard while studying were really obnoxious. And while I support women in Engineering as much as the next feminist, I was unimpressed with the way these girls handled themselves, using their sexualities and gender to gain attention. "Like, oh my god, I actually kissed my best friend when I was drunk", I (over)heard this particularly annoying girl say in a loud voice, clearly to attract the interest of nearby boys. Pah.

On to a much better topic, I saw Jamie Cullum last night at the Phoenix. If you don't know who he is, and you enjoy contemporary jazz (or even if you don't think you do), make a point to listen to his album 'twentysomething'. He's only 24, but he is such a taleneted pianist and singer that he has been dubbed the 'Elton John of 2000' and had the second largest grossing album in his native UK last year. This being said, his cd doesn't do justice to him; this kid is electric live. You wouldn't guess it from the cd, but he gets so hectic during his performance (he is pretty damn young, in his favour). My favourite "Jamie-is-crazy" moment was when he climbed atop an 8-foot high speaker while taking a swig of beer before leaping off the speaker, running full-steam across the stage and JUMPING up onto the piano. Literally. And this is his normal performance behaviour. He said that he now has a hard time renting a piano in Toronto, after his last performance here which was broadcast on the arts channel, and showed him getting slightly 'animated' with his piano. Jamie rules. To give due credit, where credit is deserved: thank you Billie-Ann for sharing him.

Anyway, it's time to return to my marathon study session... There are carbon cycles to learn about! And it's only 9:1o pm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey hizzo,
No problem - although there's not much to share. All 5'4 of him. I thought he'd be at least 5'6 or so. I hope his girlfriend is a munchkin.
B-A