14 March 2005

Trends Suck.

This post has been a long time in coming. Its subject? Two of the biggest trends right now, both which drive me crazy: one concerns fashion, the other music....

1. Ugg Boots (and Ugg Boot Knockoffs): Ok, I think I missed when this trend first took hold here in North America as I was in a 'Land Way Down Under'.... But since I've been back from NZ for the past 6 months, I have seen Ugg boots everywhere here on the streets of Toronto. I had to do a mental check with myself to make sure I wasn't still in NZ when I saw girl after girl walking down Queen Street or milling around campus wearing them. For you see, Uggs are 'indigenous' to Australia and NZ, where they make up a small part of the cultural history of said places. This being said, they are only supposed to be worn at home or while shearing sheep, as they were originally designed for.They certainly were not designed for you to wear with your trendy Lululemon pants and puffy pastel pink winter coat. They are not a 'high fashion' garment. What's even more irritating is that I see pair after pair of Ugg boots with salt stains all over them, making them look even more ridiculous than ever. As they are made of suede, in countries where salt isn't used on sidewalks in the wintertime: they are not suitable for trudging through the snow on Bloor St. Ladies, they look ridiculous on you... And don't even get me started on the emerging mukluk trend... I am personally offended on behalf of Aboriginal communities North America-wide for this one....

2. The Killers: I know many of my friends will disagree with me here, but I am standing firm on this; the lead singer can not sing for the life of him. He just shouts out lyrics, nonsensical but rhyming lyrics... Their songs are so poorly written that regardless of how hot the lead singer may be, or how well they dress as a collective, I can not make myself like them. Come on people, I know we can do better than this:

Well somebody told me
You had a boyfriend
Who looked like a girlfriend
That I had in February of last year
It's not confidential
I've got potential

Case and point.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uggs are officially 'out'. Although people still wear them out they are considered 'out' and quite frankly, I'm relieved. Those other unpronounceable boot/shoes I have seen around and they plain look ridiculous. As for el Killers. Yes, I'm a fan. Woo-hoo! And proud, baby. There could be worse bands/'performers' to be fans of. Like Hilary Duff.
B-A

Anonymous said...

if you're a killers fan you deserve to get killed. hopefully slowly, since there isn't anything that could amount to the torture of listening to those sorry representations of musicians. that's my word.

The Red Fork said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Red Fork said...

Tron, you say what we're all thinking!

p.s. Uggs are Fugly. Uggs are what I put on when I'm about to give birth.

Mark said...

What about The Streets then?

The Red Fork said...

I like to think the Streets have some talent.

I liked when we were trashing Uggs.

Krista said...

I actually think that The Streets are quite entertaining. They don't try to be something they're not. The Killers seem to think they're suprememely awesome which is unfortunately not the case.

Anonymous said...

They seem to think they're musicians, which is not the case... Agreed though, they're no Hilary Duff, nor Lindsey "oh god make it stop" Lohan. Why do people feel the need to crawl their way up to the top of the paparazzi hit list just so they can annoy the hell out of everyone by bitching about how their photo is quite often taken? grrr.
By the way, what did the deleted comment say? My interest is piqued...

Anonymous said...

UGGS KILL INNOCENT SHEEP1!!!!1!1 WOULD YOU LIKE IT IF YOU WERE SLAUGHTERED AND TURNED INSIDE OUT TO BE PUT ON SOMEONE'S FEET?/?/???1!!1!1
WEAR CONVERSE OR VANS INSTEAD111