12 October 2005

Throne Speech and Fainting.

So the Lieutant Governor of Ontario, James K. Bartleman gave his Throne Speech today at the Legislative Assembly of Ontario. This is a pretty big day for Provincial Politics, as it oulines the government's goals for the upcoming session. As such, there were loads of invited guests in the Chamber today; by far more people than are normally there. Anyway, my job today had me posted at the Member's Gallery West (for the Opposition and NDP's invited guests) and everything was going smoothly for the first couple hours. However, about 75 minutes into the L.G.'s speech, I started to feel nauseous. This was quickly followed by sudden and profuse sweating, particularly my face. All the while I'm wondering what the hell was happening to me. I didn't have much time to think about this, as the speech wrapped up and everyone's attention was then focused on the singer performing O Canada in the Speaker's Gallery directly above my head. Well, naturally this is the time everything started going dark for me, and I knew I was about to pass out. So with over 300 pairs of eyes, and several television cameras cast just metres above my head, I slumped to the floor and had to be taken from my post by a Security Guard to the lobby where I was instructed to drink water and stay put until I felt better.

So the judges are still out on whether I actually fainted or not, but regardless, I managed to create some excitiment on one of the most high profile days in Parliament. Apparently, it is quite common for Ushers and Pages to faint in the Chamber and happens several times each session, due to the heat and all the standing still. I am a bit nervous for the next day I work, as I'd rather not have a repeat of today (although I got to sit, paid no less, for that 10 minutes I was recovering, so that was almost worth it.

In other exciting news at work today, Ontario Finance Minister Greg Sorbara announced his resignation Tuesday evening following an RCMP raid of his family's real estate development company and the revelation that the Liberal politician has been named in a warrant. This should be an interesting session...

6 comments:

Mark said...

That happened to me once in a club in Nottingham whilst watching a band. I managed to make it out of the room before totally loosing it but it was most undignified. The band weren't even that good.

Anonymous said...

Ooo.. new layout. Intriguing.

The Red Fork said...

I think I love your new layout.

strangelogik said...

I'm glad you're feeling better after that! I remember fainting once at Costco. One minute I was a bit tired and rested my head on the counter (we were renewing our membership at the time) and the next thing I knew I was on the ground and Mom was pushing a coke can in my face. Of course it had to be the day I wore a skirt. ,o) Being in criminology I've heard a few ways cops use to keep from having something like that happen. Next time you're having a long standing day try to rock either back and forth or side to side. That (supposedly - I've never had the opportunity to try it out) should keep your blood pumping regularly. When a person stands for long periods of time I hear that blood starts to pool (for want of a better word) at the feet/legs and that makes it difficult to pump back up to your noggin.

Krista said...

Wow, thanks for all your support, everyone!

Jim91 said...

You should have a look at the following on Greg Sorbara.

It seems the Liberal extension of the Spadina subway line way off track past York University all the way to Jane and Steeles will profit the Sorbara family of companies because of all the land and properties they own in that area.